Sheth M.C. College of Dairy Science, Anand
A pioneer institution for Dairy Technology education
Establishment year: 1961
SMC was established as a part of the then Institute of Agriculture, Anand. Sardar Patel & Shri K. M. Munshi, with the help of generous donations from Sheth Mansukhlal Chhaganlal & Sheth Mungalal Goyenka, established the Institute of Agriculture , Anand in 1939. With the establishment of the Gujarat Agricultural University in 1972, the college became its constituent part and was conferred status of a Faculty – “The Faculty of Dairy Science”.
Gujarat State was leading in the development of organized dairy industry and had good potential for further development. With the exemplary success of the Kaira District Cooperative Milk Producer’s Union Ltd., Anand (Amul), the leaders of several other districts of the state were also enthusiastic in planning similar projects in cooperative sector for the benefit of the vast number of farmers, majority of whom are small and marginal ones. Authorities of the then Institute of Agriculture, Anand visualized the growing requirement of the trained personnel in the dairy field and decided to plan for it. As early as 1956, the Institution had submitted a proposal to the Government of India to procure dairy equipment and machinery under an Inter Institutional Agreement with the Kansas State University (T.C.M.U.S. AID). This was sanctioned and the equipment worth over Rs.3,50,000/- were received by the end of 1961 to establish a moderate size students’ training plant. It had also sent its selected staff members abroad for post-graduate studies in different subjects required to be taught in the B.Sc. (Dairying) course.
A conference was organized in Delhi in March 1960 by the UNICEF to find out the nature and extent of assistance needed by India in the field of dairy development. It was decided that extended facilities for training in Indian Dairy Diploma (I.D.D.) and B.Sc. (Dairying) courses should be provided at the existing Agricultural Institutions in the country and the Institute of Agriculture, Anand was selected as one of the centers for providing education in the Indian Dairy Diploma and B.Sc. (Dairying) courses.
The Government of India was kind enough to approve the proposal of starting the I.D.D. (Dairy Technology) course at the Institute and the same was started in July 1960 with the batch of 25 students. Further the Government of India accepted the proposal of the Gujarat State Government to establish the Dairy Science College during the 3rd Five Year Plan period. The college, second of its kind in the country, was started from July 1961 at the Institute as a grant-in-aid institution financed by the Gujarat State Government with a provision to admit 25 students every year for the I.D.D. (Dairy Technology) course of two years duration and 20 students per year for the B.Sc.(Dairy Technology) course of 4-5 years’ duration, both after Higher Secondary/ Pre-University examination. At this time three other institutions were also training manpower in Dairying. Two Year Diploma course, known as Indian Dairy Diploma (IDD) started at the Imperial Institute of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Bangalore and Institute of Agriculture, Allahabad in 1924. Graduate course, known as B.Sc. (Dairying) started at National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal in 1957.
To cater the need of the country in general and the Gujarat State in particular, from the very beginning of the commencement of the college till today, 25-50% admissions are given to the candidates belonging to the areas other than Gujarat, giving preference as far as possible to the nominees of different State governments, State dairy federations, ICAR, Government of India, etc. The Inauguration ceremony of the College was performed on July 27, 1961, by Dr. Jivrajbhai Mehta, the then Chief Minister of Gujarat State. From its inception, the college was affiliated to the Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar, for the B.Sc. (Dairy Technology) study course till it became the constituent college of the Gujarat Agricultural University in June 1972. It was recognized as an approved Dairy Training Center by the Government of India for the IDD (Dairy Technology) training course. Building of the Institute of Agriculture, Anand were temporarily made available to start the college till its own building, student’s hostel and residential quarters were constructed. The offer by the authorities of the Kaira District Cooperative Milk Producers’ Union Ltd. Anand, to arrange regular practical classes in processing of milk and manufacturing of Dairy Products in their Dairy Plants till the Students’ Training Dairy of the college was commissioned, was the most valuable and timely help at that time.
Among several urgent necessities for the college, Students’ Training Dairy Plant was the most important one. Foundation stone laying ceremony of the same was performed on December 23, 1959, well before starting the college, by Mr. S.K. Patil, the then minister for Food and Agriculture, Government of India. Designing and construction of the building was taken up immediately after starting the college under the expert advice and guidance offered by the authorities of the Kaira District Co-operative Milk Producers’ Union Ltd., Anand. Further, with their generous help and unique technical guidance, the college staff, particularly that of the Dairy Engineering Department and the students had taken up installation work of the dairy equipment and machinery and had satisfactorily completed the same within the stipulated period of six months. The UNICEF had extended its valuable help in providing some of the additional dairy equipment and machinery to the value of about Rs. 2,00,000 at that time, in addition to the gift of certain laboratory equipment and technical books for the college.
The inauguration ceremony of commissioning the Students’ Training Dairy Plant and the Foundation Stone Laying Ceremony of the Dairy Science College building were performed onDecember, 24, 1962, by Honorable Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, the then President of India. Opening Ceremony of the above said building was performed on December 12, 1966, by Dr. K.M. Munshi, the then Chairman of Governing Body of the Institute of Agriculture, Anand.
With the formation of Gujarat Agricultural University in 1972, the Institute of Agriculture, Anand with all its activities was merged with the said University. At this time, the Dairy Science College was renamed by the Gujarat State Government as Sheth Mansukhlal Chhaganlal College of Dairy Science, Anand in recognition of the magnificent donation of Rs. 9,00,000 in 1939 by the pioneer donor for creation of Institute of Agriculture, Anand. The college became the constituent college of the above said University from June 1, 1972 under the faculty of Dairy Science, with the four departments namely, Department of Dairy Technology, Dairy Engineering, Dairy Chemistry and Dairy Microbiology. The fifth Department of Dairy Economics, presently known as Department of Dairy Business Management was also added during 1980’s.
In the last 10-15 years, efforts are being made to streamline the Dairy Technology education in the country and make it more uniform. NDDB-ICAR joint panel made an effort in this direction and in 1989, SMC College of Dairy Science was recognized as the center of excellence in human resource development in Dairy Technology. In the year 1990, the nomenclature of the degree was changed from B.Sc. (DT) to B.Tech. (DT) after increasing the weightage of engineering courses and the degree was considered as technical by the Government of Gujarat. The entire syllabus got a major revision. To give the hands on experience of working in a commercial dairy to the students, Vidya Dairy was installed in 1994, with financial aid from NDDB.